Many counties are working through the required phases to get people back to work, and that leaves employers trying to figure out how to safely return to the new normal. Employee safety is generally a number one priority for employers. As businesses face post-COVID-19 reopening, following are some key factors to consider:
- Understand Compliance – Review all federal, state, and local guidance for specific steps that businesses must take before resuming operations.
- Phased Employee Return to the Workplace – If possible, employers may want to consider staging employee returns to the worksite. Stagger employee start-times, days in the office, and shifts.
- Standards that Relate to Employee Reported Illness – Make sure employees experiencing COVID-19 symptoms remain home, with the exception of receiving medical care, for three days with no fever AND for ten days since symptoms first appeared.
- Worksite Re-configuration – Enforce limits for the number of people in common areas, such as lunch rooms and conference areas. Ensure that workers’ desks are spaced a prescribed distance away from each other and that they maintain that distance when interacting. Evaluate open spaces to see if there is a need to rearrange furniture and/or install shields between workstations.
- Housekeeping and Disinfectant Strategies – Encourage employees to wash hands often with soap and water for a minimum of 20 seconds at a time. Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces. Provide hand sanitizers when soap and water isn’t easily available, as well as masks and other protective equipment.
- Clear Social Distancing Standards – Maintain a distance of 6 feet between workers and others whenever possible. Limit the number of customers and employees in the building. Postpone non-essential meetings or events.
For additional guidance and suggestions during this critical time, please plan to attend our June HR webinar, Workplace Health and Safety Post-COVID-19. We will take a look at how employers can create a safe and healthy workplace for employees to return to.
Please join us for our complementary webinar
Thursday, June 18th at 10:00am PDT
Workplace Health and Safety Post-COVID-19
When registering for this webinar, please ensure that you put
Bennett/Porter & Associates in the “referred by” registration field.