Okay! It is time to mix things up a little in your day. Grab your cup of coffee, tea, water, or beverage of choice, and let’s play a game. This game is designed to test your knowledge of employee classification. It will only take a few minutes, and hopefully you will even learn a thing or two along the way. At the very least, it will be a good refresher.
- True or False - Non-exempt employees must receive all of the following:
- Comp Time
- Minimum Wage
- True or False - Exempt employees must receive all of the following:
- 40-hour work week
- Minimum salary requirement
- True or False - A position must pass all of the following tests to be eligible to be classified as exempt:
- Hours Worked
- Salary Level
- Salary Basis
- True or False - A non-exempt employee can manage another non-exempt employee.
- True or False - The Fair Labor Standards Act’s (FLSA) basic requirements include:
- Payment of minimum wage
- Overtime pay for time worked over 40 hours in a work week
- Restrictions on the employment of children
- True or False - The FLSA went into effect in 1965.
Answers:1. False (Comp Time is not a requirement for non-exempt status. However, Overtime and Minimum Wage are requirements.) 2. False (An exempt employee is not entitled to receive Overtime or be obligated to only a 40-hour work week.) 3. False (The position only needs to pass the duties, salary level, and salary basis test.) 4. True (Employers are under no obligation to classify employees as exempt, even if they meet the criteria under the FLSA. It is just important to remember they would be subject to Overtime pay.) 5. True 6. False (The FLSA was established in 1938.)
How did you do?
If you could use some expert help in making sure that your employees are properly classified, consider what People Savvy HCM Essentials can do for you. People Savvy HCM Essentials is both a resource library and a team of live HR professionals ready to offer you guidance in all things related to Human Resources. Whether it's classifying your employees accurately or understanding the compliance laws in your state, People Savvy HCM Essentials puts expert answers at your fingertips.